יאן סמיט Jan Smit
יאן סמיט – Jan Smit


Jan Smit, Yad Vashem site.

Smit, Jan Jan Smit first came into contact with Joop Westerweel* at a socialist forum in Rotterdam and found himself profoundly influenced by Joop’s ideas. He became a member of the Resistance network that later took the name “the Westerweel group.” In August 1942, Jan helped in the evacuation of the “Pavilion Loosdrechtsche Rade” in Loosdrecht, Utrecht, and secured addresses for the haverim in IJmuiden, North Holland. After this, Jan became an important member of the group, assisting in the escape effort through Belgium and France to Spain and maintaining contact with those placed in hiding. On six occasions, he accompanied small groups of haverim across the Dutch-Belgian border at Budel, North Brabant. He also tried to free Joop Westerweel from the Vught camp after Joop was arrested in March 1944. The effort was unsuccessful. Jan continuously maintained contact with the young people for whom he had found hiding places, including Lotte Wahrhaftig (later Siesel). For three years, he provided her and others with food coupons, brought news from other Hehalutz members in hiding and generally comforted them as much as he could. While he was on a mission to Westerbork, his friends (including Menachem Pinkhof and Mirjam Waterman) were arrested in the wake of another unsuccessful attempt at liberating Joop from Vught. The Gestapo failed, however, to capture Jan, who remained active in the underground until the end of the war. After the war, Jan arrived in Palestine on the Exodus together with Jewish refugees from Europe.

He lived for a few years on a kibbutz before returning to Rotterdam, where he worked until his retirement.

On June 16, 1964, Yad Vashem recognized Jan Smit as Righteous Among the Nations.



יאן סמיט, אתר "יד-ושם" (תרגום)

 יאן סמיט פגש לראשונה את יופ ווסטרוויל בפורום סוציאליסטי ברוטרדם ומצא את עצמו מושפע מאוד מהרעיונות של יופ. הוא הפך לחבר ברשת ההתנגדות שלימים  נקראה "קבוצת וסטרוויל". באוגוסט 1942 סייע יאן בפינוי "בית עליית הנוער" בלוסדרכט, (“Pavilion Loosdrechtsche Rade” ) אוטרכט, והשיג כתובות מסתור באיומידן (Ijmuiden) צפון הולנד עבור חברי הבית בלוסדרכט. לאחר מכן, יאן הפך לחבר חשוב בקבוצה, וסייע במאמץ הבריחה דרך בלגיה וצרפת לספרד ושמר על קשר עם המסתתרים במחבוא. שש פעמים הוא ליווה קבוצות קטנות של חברים מעבר לגבול הולנד-בלגי בבודל (Budel), צפון בראבנט. הוא גם ניסה לשחרר את יופ ווסטרוויל ממחנה הריכוז פיכט לאחר שיופ נעצר במרץ 1944. המאמץ לא צלח. יאן שמר ללא הפסקה על קשר עם הצעירים שעבורם מצא מקומות מסתור, כולל לוטה ורהפטיג (לימים סיזל). במשך שלוש שנים הוא סיפק לה ואחרים קופוני אוכל, הביא ידיעות מחברי החלוץ האחרים במסתור ובאופן כללי סעד אותם ככל יכולתו. בזמן שהיה בשליחות לווסטרבורק, חבריו (כולל מנחם פינקהוף ומרים וטרמן) נעצרו בעקבות ניסיון נוסף שלא צלח לשחרר את יופ מפוכט. הגסטאפו לא הצליח לעצור את יאן שנשאר פעיל במחתרת עד תום המלחמה. לאחר המלחמה הגיע יאן לארץ ישראל באוניה "אקסודוס" יחד עם פליטים יהודים מאירופה.

הוא חי כמה שנים בקיבוץ לפני שחזר לרוטרדם, שם עבד עד פרישתו. ב- 16 ביוני 1964 הכיר יד ושם את יאן סמית כ"חסיד אומות העולם".




I worked as a handicraft instructor at the De Werkplaats School. I belonged to a group of Joop Westerweel and Bouke Koning, and were asked by them to assist in the evacuation of the children of the Youth Aliyah House (“Beit Aliyat Hanoar“). I was also asked to look for hiding places for them.

On August 15, 1942, the evacuation of the house began, and within two consecutive evenings, the 49 tenants were transferred to various addresses nearby. We did not want to endanger them by long journeys. Shortly afterwards, hiding places were added in the port city of Ijmuiden.

Joop Westerweel suggested that each of the activists take on the concern for a particular area across the country and regularly visit the boys and girls in their hiding places, bring them money, food-stamps and more. At first, the activists had to take care of financing the living expenses of the group members themselves. This required at least 50 Florins per month per person. Later, financial affairs were transferred to a national organization.

I knew how to regularly obtain food-stamps, by presenting the required voucher. The greater the number of members who crossed the borders, the more coupons were available to us.In the first period, the handling of the provision of identity cards was by Jaap Lambeck and Lucie Visser. The latter took care of erasing the letter ‘J’ from the card, with the help of Walter Brandligt (who was later killed). In the certificates in which the picture was replaced, it was necessary to repaint the stamp.In October 1942, the first shock occurred – a group of 13 young people set out for Switzerland, but did not reach its goal. To this day it is not known how and where they were lost.In August 1943 I left Bilthoven, after a group of students from Utrecht fell into the trap and during the interrogation my name was mentioned, as a food card supplier.About six times I led people to the Belgian border, to village Budel. There they passed into the hands of Joop Westerweel or Max Windmueller. On my way back I used to spend the night at the home of the Van Heeckeren family, in the town of Eindhoven. This family set up their homeregularly available to those who needed shelter.In March 1944, news of the imprisonment of Joop and Bouke was received in Amsterdam.The wife of a distinguished farmer conveyed the bad news. I went out to Eindhoven, and with the help of one policeman I managed to snatch a conversation with Joop. It was already clear to Joop during an interrogation that the identity card he was carrying, which was in the name of a Belgian citizen, could cause him serious damage. It was the certificate of "La Lieber" ("The Rabbit"), which Joop often mentions in his letters from prison. "The Rabbit" killed a German man and they searched for him. All attempts to rescue Joop from the camp failed.Together with Lore Durlacher, I rescued friends from the Westerbork camp. When they came to arrest the friends in The Hague, at Tine Segbboer's house, after the conspiracy to release Joop was revealed – I was on my way to Westerbork. That's how I survived.At the end of 1944 The activity was almost completely disrupted. I continued to supply food-tickets, about 250 tickets a month. After the train traffic stopped, I devoted more of my time to general resistance. 

Jan Smith

Publication of "The Pioneering Underground in the Occupied Netherlands" pp. 119-120



עבדתי כמורה-מדריך למלאכת-יד בבית-הספר העמלני "דה ורקפלאטס".  השתייכתי לחוג של יופ וסטרויל ובאוקה קונינג, ונתבקשתי על-ידם לסייע בפינוים של ילדי בית עליית-הנוער בלוסדרכט. כמו כן ביקשוני לחפש מקומות מחבוא עבורם.

ב-15 באוגוסט 1942 הוחל בפינוי הבית, ותוך שני ערבים רצופים הועברו 49 הדיירים לכתובות שונות בקרבת מקום. לא רצינו לסכן אותם על-ידי נסיעות ממושכות. כעבור זמן מועט נוספו מקומות מחבוא בעיר הנמל אימוידן.

יופ וסטרויל הציע, שכל אחד מן הפעילים יטול על עצמו את הדאגה לאיזור מסוים ברחבי המדינה ויבקר בקביעות את הנערים והנערות במחבואם, יביא להם כסף, תלושי מזון ועוד. תחילה נאלצו הפעילים לדאוג בעצמם למימון הוצאות-הקיום של חברי הקבוצה. לכך נדרשו לפחות 50 פלורין לחודש לאיש. מאוחר יותר עבר הטיפול בעניני הכספים לידי ארגון ארצי.

ידעתי להשיג בקביעות תלושי-מזון, בהציגי את השובר הדרוש. ככל שרב מספר החברים שעברו את הגבולות, עמדו לרשותנו יותר תלושים.

בתקופה הראשונה היה הטיפול בהספקת תעודות-זהות בידי יאפ למבק ולוצי ו. זו האחרונה דאגה למחיקת האות ‘J’ מהכרטיס, בעזרתו של ואלטר ברנדליכט (שנהרג לאחר מכן). בתעודות בהן הוחלפה התמונה, היה צורך לצייר מחדש את החותמת.

באוקטובר 1942 חל הזעזוע הראשון – קבוצה שמנתה 13 צעירים, יצאה לדרך לשוייץ, אך לא הגיעה אל מטרתה. עד היום לא נודע כיצד והיכן אבדו.

באוגוסט 1943 עזבתי את בילטהובן, לאחר שקבוצת סטודנטים מאוטרכט נפלה בפח ובשעת החקירה הוזכר שמי, כמספק כרטיסי מזון.

כשש פעמים הובלתי אנשים לגבול הבלגי, אל הכפר בודל. שם עברו לידיהם של יופ וסטרויל או של מאכס וינדמילר. בדרכי חזרה נהגתי ללון בבית משפחת ון-היקרן, בעיר איינדהובן. משפחה זו העמידה את ביתה

בקביעות לרשות הזקוקים למקלט.

במארס 1944 נתקבלה באמסטרדם הידיעה על מאסרם של יופ ובאוקה.

אשת איכר מבודל העבירה את הבשורה. יצאתי לאיינדהובן, ובאמצעות שוטר אחד הצלחתי לחטוף שיחה עם יופ. כבר בשעת החקירה התברר ליופ שתעודת-הזהות אותה נשא והיתה על שמו של אזרח בלגי, עלולה לגרום לו נזק רציני. היתה זו תעודתו של "לה ליאבר" ("הארנבת"), שיופ הרבה להזכירו במכתביו מן הכלא. אותו איש הרג גרמני, וחיפשו אחריו. כל הנסיונות לחלץ את יופ מהמחנה — נכשלו.

 יחד עם לורה דורלאכר עסקתי בחילוץ חברים ממחנה וסטרבורק. כאשר באו לעצור את החברים בהאג, בביתה של טינה סכבור, אחרי שנתגלה הקשר לשחרר את יופ — הייתי בדרכי לוסטרבורק. כך ניצלתי.

בשלהי. 1944 שובשה הפעולה כמעט כליל. המשכתי עוד בהספקת כרטיסי מזון, בערך 250 כרטיסים לחודש. לאחר שנפסק מהלך הרכבות, הקדשתי יותר מזמני להתנגדות הכללית.

יאן סמיט

מתוך "המחתרת החלוצית בהולנד הכבושה" עמודים 119-120



Jan Smit was born in Rotterdam on 25 July 1917 and passed away on 12 February 2001

יאן סמיט נולד ברוטרדם, הולנד, ב-25 ליולי 1917 ונפטר ב-12 בפברואר 2001





קישורים לפועלו של יאן סמיט במחתרת "קבוצת ווסטרוויל" Links for Jan's activities with "Westerweel Group" underground



תמונת התעודה באדיבות ארכיון יד-ושם